Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Tour de Cure Revisited

Today Kristy and I took on the America Diabetes Association's annual Tour de Cure bike ride. Last year, we chose this ride to be our very first group ride. In fact, at 16 miles, it was the longest we have ever ridden before. This year we stepped it up a bit and signed up for the 32 mile route.

To begin with, the ride started out with Kristy getting a flat tire as soon as we took her bike off the truck. Not sure what happened, but as soon as she sat her bike down, the back tire blew. Luckily, we had an extra tube with us and a bike mechanic changed the tire for us. With our team all lined at the starting line, we took off. Kristy and I were very excited about conquering the infamous hill that got the best of us last year. At mile six, we saw the hill ahead of us. We both sped up to get some momentum for the monstrous hill. About half way up the hill, Kristy took off and pulled ahead of me while I started to slow down a bit. Determined to make it up this damn hill, I down shifted as low as I could go so I could make it up the hill without stopping. Finally, I had no choice but to dismount my bike and start walking up the hill. I was so upset that I could not make it up the hill. I could not understand what why it was so difficult.

When I got to the top of the hill, where Kristy was waiting for me, I stopped and looked at my bike. What I discovered was my tire kept getting hug up on the break. I thought I was having problems with my breaks sticking. At that time, a rider stopped to see if we needed any help. I told him what was happening and he took a look. He informed me that the problem wasn't with my breaks it was my wheel. Apparently, I broke a spoke which made my wheel out of balance. There was nothing he could do to help us.

After waiting about 45 minutes, a support vehicle stopped to pick me up and take me to the next rest area where a bike mechanic was on duty. Kristy decided to ride on and just me at the rest stop.

James from Roswell Bicycles assisted me with my broken spoke. Apparently it wasn't an easy job because it took him almost an hour to fix it. After taking my entire wheel apart, he was able to get the bike fixed and get me on the road again.

Unfortunately, we were so far behind, we had no choice but to just turn around and head back to the starting line. If we whould tried to finish the ride, it would have taken us at least 2 more hours and by that time, all the rest areas would have been closed and we would be riding in the heat of the day. Not a good combination.

By the time we got back to the start/finish line, we were crossing the line at the same time as most of the people we started with. I was at least able to log 17 miles and Kristy was able to get to 22 miles. Not a bad ride but still disappointing.

Better luck next year

No comments:

Post a Comment