Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Practice Triathlon

This morning, Cat, Deena, Susan, and I along with our support team, Kristy and Noelle headed out for a practice triathlon. With only 13 days to go, we all wanted to make sure we knew what we were getting into. We started off at the gym and swam 400 meters in the pool. After that, we went back out to the parking lot where Kristy and Noelle were waiting. When we got out there, Kristy and Noelle had our bikes and gear all set up ready for us to jump on our bikes and go.

With Kristy and Noelle riding along with us, off we went for our 12 mile ride. Cat chose a really good route that simulated most riding conditions we may encounter. 51 minutes and 45 seconds later, we were back at the gym jumping off our bikes and heading out for our 5k run while Kristy and Noelle packed everything up.

Quickly, Susan pulled out and never looked back. There after, Cat and Deena spanked my ass as they ran by me. Unfortunately, I was having severe leg cramps and was forced to walk most of the route. Every time I tried to run, my legs would just knot up to the point you could see it happening. Instead of taking the chance of hurting myself, I chose to walk the route instead of run.

All alone, I turned up the music and picked up the pace. About a quarter mile down the road I saw Kristy pulled off on the side of the road waiting for me with a bottle of water. I took several sips and headed off again. Another quarter mile or so, there she was again waiting for me with water. She had taken on the role as our support vehicle while Noelle went off to buy and prepare lunch for us when finished. Kristy road up and down the route tending to all the runners and when they had all finished she continued to meet me every quarter mile or so with water. When I reached the last half mile, I sent her to Cat's house and said I would meet her there.

About 5 minutes later, I looked down the road and saw Susan and Deena walking towards me. Deena and Susan came to finish the rest of the route with me. Still walking, we made the final turn and Cat's house came into view. There, Kristy, Cat, and Noelle were waiting for us clapping in the drive way. With less then a half of a block to go, Deena suggested that we run the rest of the way. 2 hours and 27 minutes after starting, we arrived at the end of the route. I actually did my own triathlon!!!!

With less than two weeks before the race, I feel confident that I can actual do this. Thanks to Kristy and Noelle for all the support and thanks to Deena, Susan, and Cat for participating in the race with me. I don't think I would have come this far without every one's support

1 comment:

  1. You girls did all the work...I was simply a human hydration station. :)

    ReplyDelete